Uganda Bloggers 7 Day Challenge: Day 1- Reverse Osmosis



When my wife asked whether I was going to participate in the challenge this morning, I wanted to say ‘Heeeeeell NO with the hand gestures that come with it’ and I still have a few reservations here and there. What if I do not make all the 7 days? That makes me a failure and someone I know would say ‘Don’t over think it’ so imma pretend to do that. What many fail to understand is what they call over thinking is my normal thinking, it might not always be sense but there is always a lot of it.
While many are worried about running out of what to write, whether they will have the time to write among others, my biggest worry is that the posts will be shared on social media thus increasing the chances of people reading my stuff. Sigh!
Because of this fear mostly and the fact that my friend has THE coolest stories ever; I decided to be her voice for a week. She wasn’t on board initially but an hour or so later, she is more enthusiastic than I am.
I am ALWAYS amused when I meet bazungu who are staying in Uganda indefinitely and this case was no different. I mean Lux *not real name because Duuuuuuh also shout out to people who are going to let me name their children, clearly y’all are in BIG trouble* has been in Uganda for over a year and different countries in Africa before that. Who in their right minds would leave the UK for an indefinite stay in Africa?
For the challenge Lux gets to decide whatever I write about and I have my fingers crossed that she will let me share the REALLY exciting and shocking stories.
As a Mzungu who has lived in Africa for 2 years, Lux’s only con is the low Quality of life although that encompasses A LOT with highlights on poverty, the comparative lower standard of living in relation to one's earnings and working hours. Obviously no one likes to be poor so this is valid although it got me thinking because poverty might not be on the list of things I do not like about Uganda. Interesting!
On the bright side, the pros outweigh the con which is weird if you ask me. Lux feels that it has enabled her to get a lot of work experience which she never would have managed to get in the UK in the same period of time. She is able to learn really fast because things are more practical. This one had me raising my eyebrows because for as long as I can remember the systems here have been blamed because of their impracticability, different times may be.
Things are more hands on, you have to use your own personal initiative in order to progress, which is tiring, however doing things on your own, not relying on preexisting systems means that you learn technical stuff fast. It raises the question whether it makes sense to do a lesser known thing because there will not be a million other people with similar aspirations to yours.
Would I have a similar experience if I went to a less developed country like DRC (not the fancy bits like Kinshasa but the equivalent of Mukono or something like that) or Togo (LOL, nothing personal but Lux assures me it’s way up there on the list)? Apparently Togolese do not hold back on the partying scene and while she was there, there was a bum shaking competition for guys and babes, and a lucky babe walked away with a motor bike. Well not walked away because she rode away on her bike.
Imagine that, shake your bums and win a motor bike. I bet many Ugandans would be on their way to Togo if they knew about this. I’d consider it if I had bums but Nope, life had other plans!
Togolese bums are also a pale comparison to the Buganda Bums, girls could get rich. Did you know that Ugandan bums are famous all over Africa for being BIG?